Police unions have too much power. It’s time to hold them accountable.
Georgia Police Bill of Rights
Things to remember:
- Erases misconduct records
- Restricts / Delays Interrogations
- Gives officers unfair access to information
- Disqualifies Complaints
- Requires City Pay for Misconduct
- Limits Oversight / Discipline
In our initial review of this contract we did not identify provisions blocking accountability, but we encourage communities to reevaluate their contracts and send us any relevant information they think should be included in our analysis.
Police Officer Bills of Rights exist to enshrine a set of protections into state law that almost guarantee that officers cannot be held accountable, and limit Mayors and other leaders from taking swift and necessary action when warranted.